What do Google, Ford, Sony, Ernst & Young, Shell, IBM, and the Los Angeles Police Department have in common?
According to Tony Schwartz, the best-selling author of The Way We’re Working Isn’t Working, these employers all focus on 4 core workplace needs that fuel great performance and productivity.
- Sustainability (physical)
- Security (emotional)
- Self-expression (mental)
- Significance (spiritual)
In addition to paying attention to these 4 key needs, there are 4 other practices that boost productivity:
- A workplace rhythm that balances intense efforts with regular periods of renewal
- A workplace that offers ways to offset emotionally draining experiences with practices that fuel resilience (like offering mindfulness techniques)
- A workplace that balances urgent demands with long term strategic thinking
- A workplace that offers and develop rationale that emphasizes the common good
May we pursue our paths, creating workplaces that put life back in life-work balance,