Everyone has voices inside that stop us or slow us down. They can be present in many situations, from things we’re sure about to things we’re not sure about.
Sometimes there are gifts in these voices. We need to make sure that our loved ones or we are safe, we need to consider other alternatives to actions we’re contemplating.
However, if there is something you want to do—that you’ve always wanted to do—but were afraid to start, or if there’s something you used to love to do, that you’re afraid of going back to, then you’ve probably got a saboteur voice in your life.
These voices are tricky creatures. They sound like the voice of reason.
- “You don’t have the money to start that.”
- “Your relative/friend tried that and it didn’t work. What makes you think it will work for you?”
- “You don’t know if you have the talent to do that.”
- “What if it doesn’t work out?”
- “You tried that before and it didn’t work. Why would it work this time?”
- “You’re too old to try that.”
- “You don’t have enough experience to do that.” (Flip side of “You’re too old…)
- “Only rich/talented/special people try or succeed at that.”
It is rare to get a guarantee about a specific success in this life. Everyone who is successful has had to struggle with the saboteur voice masquerading as a voice of reason.
However, there is great joy in pursuing something you love to do, regardless of outcome. That is a success in itself.
May you pursue your path and what you love,
P.S. If there are specific voices operating in your life that you’d like to tame and make friends with, let me know. I’m collecting those voices for a longer piece of writing.