Last week I wrote about why it’s important to stay present.
But how do you stay present? Here are my top ten tips.
1) Focus on the now. Who are you with? Are you truly listening to them? If you’re alone, what are you doing? Are you doing it fully, or are you doing a distracted multi-tasking?
2) Minimize worrying. Caring about something/ someone is wonderful. Constructing negative fantasies about all the things that could go wrong is not.
3) Find ways to achieve deeper relaxation, from deep breathing to guided relaxations. (Contact me if you’d like me to send you one I recorded…)
4) Take time for yourself. Give yourself at least 15 minutes a day where you do something you enjoy, simply for the sake of enjoyment, whether it’s taking a walk or a bubble bath, crafting, or reading.
5) To the maximum extent possible, commit your time to things, people, causes and activities that are personally meaningful and/or enjoyable to you.
6) Challenge yourself to try something new that you’ve always wanted to do. Doing new things focuses your attention and broadens your world.
7) Allow yourself enough time to complete what you need to do, along with transition time between activities.
8) If there are things you’ve committed to that you don’t enjoy, challenge yourself to find at least one benefit from doing them.
9) Eat more slowly, and really taste your food, (even if you’re eating alone…I’m working on this one!)
10) Whenever you’re distracted, ask your Self, “What’s the most important thing for me to do now?”
The cartoonist Bill Keane said, “Yesterday’s the past, tomorrow’s the future, but today is a gift. That’s why it’s called the present.”
Give yourself and the world the gift of being present.
May we pursue our paths, finding more and more ways to be present,